Modern Family logo

Book a Consultation Today!


Default Judgment Divorce Option

When a spouse is uncooperative and refuses to participate in the divorce process, a legal tool called a default judgment divorce may help end a marriage.

Sometimes a spouse is unwilling to participate in the divorce process. Fortunately, Colorado doesn’t require the approval of both spouses to obtain a divorce. Our state enjoys the benefit of a no-fault judgment, meaning it isn’t necessary to prove the guilt of one party to obtain a divorce.

The process of getting a default judgment can be straight forward. With a few simple steps, the courts will grant a dissolution of marriage (what Colorado calls a divorce) within a couple of months.

Initiating & Serving the Petition

First, a petition is served on the other spouse. If property or children are involved, the act of filing for a default judgment may be enough of a threat to get the other party to participate in the proceedings.

A process server personally delivers the petition. The respondent has 20 days to respond to the petition. If this isn’t enough time, he or she may be able to request an extension.

Modern Family Law Compassionate Innovative Respected

Our Attorneys Are Ready To Listen

Our experienced family law attorneys have the knowledge, resources, and dedication to prepare your case and protect your interests to find the best possible outcome.

The Three Options

The respondent has three options: agree with the terms in the petition, disagree with the terms of the dissolution of marriage petition and contest the divorce, or simply do nothing.

If the spouse receiving the petition chooses not to act, then they basically give up their rights to a trial. This may include giving up their marital property and child custody rights as well.

The respondent has the right to attend the trial and dispute the terms of the dissolution of marriage. When a case involves children, Colorado courts try to reach a fair arrangement in the best interests of the children. In fact, even if the defaulting spouse is in contempt or if they missed the court’s deadlines, they may still be eligible to participate and give testimony on their behalf. Their participation though at this point may come with severe restrictions.

Our Calculators

We’re not fans of surprises and we suspect you aren’t either. We built these divorce calculators just for you, so you know what to expect every step of the way.

Divorce by Publication

If a spouse is unreachable or can’t be found, divorce by publication may be the best option to end the marriage. This option isn’t as easy as the default judgment divorce because the courts make every attempt to give both parties the ability to participate in the divorce proceedings.

The petitioner (the person who initiates the proceedings) must make a good faith effort to notify their spouse. You may post a notice of the dissolution of marriage in a newspaper or by mail notification.

After the 90 days waiting period a person filing for divorce is eligible for the dissolution of marriage.

Exceptions to a Default Judgment

Military personnel is exempt from a default judgment or any other divorce actions when serving overseas. This applies to both the service member serving overseas and their spouse located back home.

Fortunately, ending a marriage with an unresponsive spouse in Colorado is extremely easy. If you are considering a divorce, an experienced divorce attorney at Modern Family Law we can help. Contact us today for a free and confidential consultation.

Modern Family Law

Modern Family Law’s team of experienced family law attorneys takes a compassionate approach to the practice of family law. Using innovative technology to create an effective and efficient process for our clientele, our attorneys approach each case as a collective effort to find the best long-term solutions for each family. Our attorneys currently practice in Colorado, California, and Texas. Click the following link to view all of our family law locations. For more information please give us a call or fill out a short form online to sign up for a free consultation today! Let us make a positive difference in your life.

Posted October 19, 2016
by: MFL Team

Related Resources

Property Division

What Happens To Property Owned Before Marriage?

Entering a marriage, few consider its potential end. However, understanding the financial implications of divorce, especially regarding property owned before marriage, is crucial for…

Property Division

Navigating Divorce Real Estate: An Expert Guide…

Having the right expertise can make a significant difference in the complex intersection of divorce and real estate. In this insightful interview, Caroline Germano,…


Declaring Your Own Independence - When Is…

Deciding to get a divorce is a scary and difficult proposition for many individuals to come to terms with. Even couples that have faced…


Free Consultation