Modern Family logo

Book a Consultation Today!

Contempt of Court Proceedings

Enforcing A Child Support Order in Colorado

When a parent falls on hard economic times, they may find it challenging to uphold their child support obligations each month; however, what they may not realize is that failing to make regular payments could result in very serious consequences. While their failure to pay can, first and foremost, make it difficult for the other parent to provide for their child, they too could be at risk for problems of their own.

When the court orders one parent to pay child support, they are legally bound to do so. If they stop making regular payments, they could be held in contempt of court, have their wages garnished, face negative marks on their credit report, or even risk losing their driver’s license. When it comes to enforcing a child support order in Colorado, the courts have a wide range of resources at their disposal.

The Courts Can Hold a Delinquent Parent in Contempt

If the other parent of your child falls behind on their court-ordered child support payments, you can request that the court issue a charge of contempt. A hearing will be scheduled, where your ex will have the chance to resolve the issue of non-payment. If at this point, they still refuse to pay, the court can hold them in jail and/or issue a fine. The exact punishment they face will be decided by the court.

Modern Family Law Compassionate Innovative Respected

Our Attorneys Are Ready To Listen

Our experienced family law attorneys have the knowledge, resources, and dedication to prepare your case and protect your interests to find the best possible outcome.

Other Remedies the Courts Can Use to Force Payment

Aside from holding the delinquent parent in contempt, the court can also take a number of other actions to enforce the payment of child support. They may:

  • Report the delinquency to credit reporting agencies
  • Place liens on the parent’s property or bank accounts
  • Garnish, or seize the non-paying parent’s earnings
  • Intercept tax refunds or unemployment benefits
  • Force the delinquent parent to sell their property

Let Us Help You

If you need help enforcing your child support order, please do not hesitate to get in touch with the Colorado family law attorneys at Modern Family Law. We offer free, no-obligation consultations to get you started, so you would have nothing to lose by giving us a call today.

Our Calculators

We’re not fans of surprises and we suspect you aren’t either. We built these divorce calculators just for you, so you know what to expect every step of the way.

Modern Family Law

Modern Family Law’s team of experienced family law attorneys takes a compassionate approach to the practice of family law. Using innovative technology to create an effective and efficient process for our clientele, our attorneys approach each case as a collective effort to find the best long-term solutions for each family. Our attorneys currently practice in Colorado, California, and Texas. Click the following link to view all of our family law locations. For more information please give us a call or fill out a short form online to sign up for a free consultation today! Let us make a positive difference in your life.

Posted October 08, 2015
by: MFL Team

Related Resources


Dealing with Contempt in Divorce Cases

If you’ve dealt with the civil side of legal proceedings, you may be aware that court orders can get issued pretty frequently. However, you…


Handling Contempt Proceedings

Family law matters are not finished just because the judge issues a final order, many times. Many final orders court often require that certain…


What is Retroactive Child Support?

Parents have a duty to care for their children, even if they’re not actively raising them. The non-custodial parent typically pays child support to…


Free Consultation